9/12/2010

Langston dreams/the nightmares of war






Many of us know the great and prolific Langston Hughes because of his dream poems. His ability to capture the voices of the people of Harlem in my opinion is unparalleled. The plays, poems, and short stories are the essence of Black America. Mr Hughes had some less publicized themes in his work too: He was crystal clear in his verses about war and it's cause /effect on the world.
(War by Langston Hughes)
The face of war is your face/ the face of war is my face
What color is the face of war?
Brown, Black.,White- your face and my face.
Death is the broom I take in my hands/ To sweep the world clean
I sweep and I sweep/ Then mop and I mop
I dip my broom in blood/my mop in blood/ and blame you for this
Because you are there/Enemy/
It’s hard to blame me, because I am here
So I kill you/ and you kill me
My name/like your name
Is War

Or: Comment On War
"Let us kill off our youth/For the sake of truth/ We who are old know what TRUTH is/ Truth is a bundle of vicious lies/tied together and sterilized-A war makers bait for unwise youth/To kill off each other /For the sake of TRUTH"

and: “Poem To A dead solider”

We who sent you to your doom/ now we make soft speeches/and sob soft cries/and throw soft flowers/and utter soft lies

But of course this is Mr Hughes, solutions and demands from the people's perspective are always available in his huge canon:
: (Give Us Our Peace
Give us a peace equal to the war Or else our souls will be unsatisfied/
And we will wonder what he have fought for/and why the many died
Give us a peace accepting every challenge
The challenge of the poor, the black of all denied/ the challenge of the vast colonial world that long has had so little justice by it’s side.
Give us a peace that dares us to be wise/Give us a peace that dares us to be strong
Throughout the peace our battle against wrong
Give us a piece that is not cheaply used
A peace that is no clever scheme/ A people’s peace for which men can enthuse/A peace that brings reality to our dream
Give us a Peace that will enlist a mighty army serving all mankind
Not just an army geared to kill/ but trained to help the living mind
An army trained to help the common good/and bring about a world of brotherhood

A few years ago, I wrote a play with some high school students around these poems ( titled Love And War) The students added their own poems around the theme of the heart as a battlefield.
These poems are from the excellent : The Collected Poems Of Langston Hughes.
Peace!

No comments: