2/08/2009

Some Black History Month Poetry Flavor from me at 9 years old-deep stuff folks-and thank you Ms Kent for recognizing the power of Black History month


Mrs Kent, the most influential teacher in my life, introduced to me so many things that would influence the rest of my life. Poetry, Black authors, Black Art, and the acknowledgment that I was a creative being were the gifts that she gave me in the third grade. The fact that she was White , may make this even more extraordinary. She recognized that Black History month introduced me to a higher idea of who I could be. Although this was thirty something years ago, I still believe that the magic of discovery and pride during Black History month is still relevant. She also opened up my mind to the greatness of understanding the history and art of other cultures.
Here is some poetry from the 4th grade poet that I became a year after Ms Kent's classes.

Warning Deep Stuff ahead :

Harriet Tubman
by me
Harriet Tubman
Bold Black woman
Risked her life for our freedom
Harriet you were wise
You followed the North Star in the skies
For our freedom



Langston Hughes
by me
You're the people's poet
Us Black folks surely know it
Your rhythm is the blues
you paid your dues
So that dreams I can use



My Afro
My Afro used to be big and fluffy
Then it became uncombed and stuffy
My mother said it has to go
No mama no
I cried and I cried
My mother said you're not going to die
And that was the end of my fro


The Flag
by me
Red and and blue only favors you
Red Black and green
Makes me a king
And my sister a Queen

No comments: